Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The last flax standing














Okay – just one last post about the great flax collapse of winter 2008/09. After the snow and ice cleared, and I was able to drive around town again like a normal human, I happened by a pair of flax wrapped in insulation. It must have been a two person job, one person gathering up the leaves and holding them tight while the other took a roll of insulation (the kind with the silver foil backing) and wrapped it around like an insulation cinnamon roll. I could tell that at the center of the cinnamon roll was flax because there were a few leaves sticking out the top. The weather had warmed considerably when I saw them, so whatever covering they had over the top opening had been taken off, allowing the plant to breath. I made a mental note to drive by in a few months to see how the plants looked when the insulation came off.

Well - they look pretty darn unscathed don’t they (that's them up top)? If I hadn’t seen them prior I would have sworn they were planted this spring. Now I know. Maybe I could have saved my flax, all 17 of them (yes, it really is an addiction) if I had done this? Any maybe the Cordy’s too?

2 comments:

  1. 17? That sucks! I thought they were going to be hardy. Wish I would have done that this year, I just learned about the insulation trick this year. Are all 17 gone for good? Or will they grow back? I took out my ice storm damaged flax a few years ago, and then saw others recover, so now I'm waiting for a while before I do anything permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 17 - I know! Doesn't that just sound ridiculously decadent!? I didn't realize I had that many until I actually stopped to count. I think you are smart to wait. I am horribly impatient. It is not a good trait. I have only dug out 3, I am watching the others. The folks at Cistus said cut them back (so the crown doesn't rot) water good, fertilize, be patient and plant another right next to it. We'll see. I have cut them all back (as though they were a grass that needed a winter cut). My 2 'yellow wave' are starting to show some life, this is good. I think I will try to plant the ones I dig up in 'the jungle' (a fairly out of view area) and see if they show life.

    In a random 'how small is this world' moment I think I realized where you worked, prior to Monday. I don't want to out you online as you seem to protect your privacy (which is probably really smart) but this is a small town and I too know someone who still works there and talked of lay-offs on Monday. Sounds like a fun place with a lot of cool people. I am very excited to learn more about what you have cooking for your future!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. The amount of spam that get's through is incredible, so comment moderation is on. I'll try to approve and post your comment as soon as possible!