Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I figured this would happen, eventually

I just didn’t think it would happen so soon.

Let me backtrack a bit. The sun came out last week, it wasn’t supposed to. I was busy taking care of things on my “to do” list (this did not involve working in the garden) but seeing the sun I had a strong urge to get out. Just for a bit. But where? Ah! A nursery I hadn’t visited yet this season, I’ll drive to The Gardeners Choice in Tigard, that’s a quick trip, back home in a little over an hour. Besides it won’t have anything too tempting so I can stay on budget for the Hardy Plant Society Sale. Thus you see it was fate that took me there…to see these: For the first time I am faced with the opportunity to actually buy a Schefflera taiwaniana, one of the big 5-gallon ones I’ve been seeing at the garden shows! I didn’t think I would see one of these in the nurseries until mid to late summer, at best. But you see I’d been telling myself that when this moment came I would just smugly walk on by, having already been given a S. taiwaniana by Sean Hogan (one propagated at Cistus). That was so much better than just laying down the cold hard cash, anyone can do that (well, anyone lucky enough to happen upon one of these hard to find plants), that first one was a gift! Someone cared enough to satisfy my plant lust!!! Plus the Cistus version has red petioles (hope I’m using the right word) making it extra colorful! What to do, what to do? Well of course you know what I did, don’t you? I bought it. I just couldn’t help myself. Especially when it was significantly cheaper than I’ve heard these guys are going for. Significantly. Score. Naturally I not only bought one for myself but I also got one for Megan, my fellow plant luster, after all she was the very first person to introduce me to this amazing plant. And I left one behind…for the next lucky person. Okay, truth be told the only reason that there was one left behind was because it was quite damaged, frost maybe? A disease? It just didn’t look healthy. If it had been I would have scooped that one up for another friend. Because that’s what the plant addicted do, we watch out for each other.

12 comments:

  1. I'm jealous, I need to find more plant people in my area to commune with, I never actually speak to real people about plants so 90% of the time I can't pronounce the names of plants I've learned so much about! I always seem to be the one giving plants too, never receiving... sigh

    awesome score!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...it's always when you least expect it that you find what you've been looking for! I don't think any of us would lame you a bit...when you see something you've been wanting, might as well grab it...you never know if you'll see it again (or for how much). Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take it back. I really really do need that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this plant for the very first time at a nursery in SoCalif today, in a 5-gallon, over $50. If it had been in a gallon size...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun. Looks like a very healthy, vigorous plant. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what this plant means to you, so I am glad you were able to get another. I have yet to see it available on the other side and will have to speak to my Monrovia rep about that. BTW, I am an addicted Daffodil fan, so easy, not eaten by anything, increases every year and gone in a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love weak willed gardeners who "need"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one cool plant. Does it sprout babies?
    If so, you definitely have a winner. Regular Schef. can be grown from stem cuttings, or so I'm told.
    Have fun.
    David/ Tropical Texana
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Score! Where is Megan these days? Tell her Grace misses her blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah well done! You finally got hold of a plant that's been on your wishlist for awhile. As a fellow S. taiwaniana owner/fan, it's fantastic plant and a great addition to your garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good on you! As Oscar Wilde said, I can resist everything except temptation!

    This gives me hope to find a Schefflera taiwaniana somewhere in the Puget Sound area.

    Enjoy your great find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ellieT, you're not alone in that pronunciation thing...me too. It does make a big difference to have a sense of community, there have got to be other cool gardeners in Toronto! Maybe try and organize a meet up by posting something on your blog? Or at a local nursery?

    Scott, exactly. That nursery was the last place I expected to make such a discovery!

    Patricia, I'm on the hunt.

    Denise, I wonder when they'll start selling in that size? It would certainly make sense for the consumer unwilling to gamble so much $ on an unknown (but cool) plant.

    VW, I will!

    Les, interesting that it's sticking to the West Coast...I wonder why?

    compost, are you not one of these?

    David, I pretty much suck at plant propagation, so I'm just going to enjoy it as is.

    Grace, I will! I think we all do miss Nest Maker, but she's working hard behind the scenes on plant lust.

    Mark and Gaz, it's killing me to not be able to put it in the ground right now! But the pesky house painting is keeping that on hold.

    Van, try Dragonfly Farms Nursery in Kingston...Heidi mentioned that she had a couple!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comment moderation is on (because you know: spam), I will approve and post your comment as soon as possible!