Wednesday, July 27, 2011

An Agave blooms in Tacoma, Washington…

About a month ago I was alerted by a danger garden reader that one of the agaves at Jungle Fever Exotics (in Tacoma, WA), was pushing out a bloom spike. Since I was in the area for the weekend naturally I made the pilgrimage to pay my respects. According to the owner of the nursery (and the garden) this Agave parryi has been in the ground for about 27 years. I was a little early for the flower show (and I forgot to ask if A. parryi produces bulbils!) but it was gorgeous all the same. And since there are a couple other Agaves nearby that are not yet blooming it wasn't too sad to think of this one expiring. If you click back to last years Jungle Fever visit (click here for garden pictures and here for nursery pictures) you will see how gorgeous this prostrate Acacia was back then...winter was not kind to this plant. This is the first of a couple of Genista aetnensis in this garden, the perfume was magnificent! More photos from the garden... Great use of re-bar to hold back the bamboo... And here it ads an arty touch... I love this sign, half hidden in the jungle of Jungle Fever! Here is the second Genista, this one is HUGE. Makes me rethink the fact that I've planted 2 of them in my front garden. These are Ochagavia litoralis (Cardoncillo) from San Marcos Growers. I had never heard of Ochagavia before, according to San Marcos "The genus Ochagavia is closely related to Fascicularia with 4 species endemic to Chile or the Juan Fernandez Islands off the Chilean Coast"...Before I left the owner alerted me to this second "about to bloom" agave... It's seen better days but is pushing up a very healthy looking bloom stalk. In case you're wondering, yes I left without purchasing anything...odd isn't it? If you are making the I-5 trek through Tacoma I really recommend making the short detour to Jungle Fever, I doubt you'll be able to leave empty handed!

12 comments:

  1. It's always strangely inspiring to me to see monocarpic species giving up their lives to flower. Brave A. parryi, and thank you for the photos!

    And, what is the gorgeous orangey-pink bloom spike with the downy gray leaves? Must have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MulchMaid, that's a Lobia tupa! I bought one at Portland Nursery a couple of weeks ago...they might still have them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Loree! I pass that nursery from time to time and never have time to stop there. Did I put too many 'times' in one sentence?
    Anyway, after your post I need to go there! Thank you! It was a pleasure meeting you last Monday at Dragonfly Farms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always floors me to see dierama seeding around, like in those steps. I've practically given up seeing it in bloom in my garden. I'm going to show my Lobelia tupa your picture to give it some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not too sad then if there are still others around. It is part of their cycle after all and that is definitely an impressive spike. It should look magnificent when in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ochavaia and every other plant you showed us... extraordinary! Whenever I see a blooming agave I feel a little sad at first but soon remember all of the resulting pups that I'll see afterward. Debra Lee Baldwin once showed a picture of an agave flower spike spray painted white and used as a Christmas tree! Pretty cool, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with MulchMaid...there is something about monocarpic plants...just like you said...you have to pay your respects! I visited a garden a few weeks ago with scads of Lobelia tupa...absolutely stunning! I can't quite place my finger on what it is I love about them...maybe it's everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not to be a naysayer but I've tried growing Lobelia tupa TWICE and both times it didn't make it through the winter. I hope you'll have more success than I did. Love the Agave!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tatyana, it was wonderful to meet you! I'm glad you made the trip. And YES! Go to Jungle Fever...it's fabulous.

    Denise, here's hoping your L. tupa takes action.

    Bom, yes I am sure it will...and I wish I were going to be there to see it!

    RFG, uhm...I like the idea of the Christmas tree replacement, I'd do that in a second! But I think I'd have to skip the white spray paint.

    scott, was said garden here in Portland? I'm still getting mixed messages on the hardiness, which is why I only bought the one at PDX Nursery when I saw them...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! See...Grace you were typing about your Lobelia I was thinking the same thing...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should have seen that bed when he first planted it. It was full of hopelessly tender stuff like Leucadendrons, Proteas and a saguaro. Too bad about that Acacia. The Agave parryi has been there for about five or six years but he said he got it from someone else in Tacoma who didn't want it. Then the other Agave - the dead looking one - is A. americana and I can't believe how it has hung on. I haven't asked but it must date to at least the mid 90s. I have pictures of it from 1998 looking bigger and better than that - it took a hit in the December 1998 freeze and again in the last few winters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Loree...yes...it was Bruce Wakefields garden up on Old Germantown road...he must have dozens...apparently they reseed a bit. He had them a mix of conditions from full sun to partial shade...that's not to say it isn't some miraculous micro-climate (I believe they are on a SW-facing hill...so sun and good drainage). I may just risk it and get one if they are still at PDX Nursery this weekend...nothing ventured, nothing gained!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comment moderation is on (because you know: spam), I will approve and post your comment as soon as possible!