Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Olympic Sculpture Park, Seattle Waterfront

The last official stop on Saturday for the GB Fling was the Olympic Sculpture Park in downtown Seattle. After a very full day of garden touring (two large private gardens and the Bellevue Botanical Garden) it was nice to rest my eyes on something else!

This stainless steel tree(I need one) is called Split, by Roxy Paine... One of the most photographed works in the park, Typewriter Eraser, Scale X, by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen. I overheard a conversation between two young men who were saying this was a pizza sauce spreader and cutter in one! Perre's Ventaglio III, 1967, Beverly Pepper You've got to love a piece of art that reflects the plants back at you! Speaking of the plants, several had very thorough signage identifying them... The winner for presence, Wake 2004 Richard Serra. Scale is everything! I enjoyed how it carved up the city views. The grass, seemingly left natural, still had a definite artistic flare to it. The sculpture park is right on the waterfront, at the northern end of the piers. There is a park along the water where I used to love to walk. I was happy to discover it is still there! A wonderful spot to look out at the Sound. After talking in the view it was time to skip out on the official function and head to the Pike Place Market, and dinner at the Pink Door with those crazy Austin Garden Bloggers, sorry no pictures! But it was a very fun night...

4 comments:

  1. What happens at the Pink Door stays at the Pink Door. ;) It was a pleasure to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe someday I will get to go to one of those garden-blogger things. That looks like it was a lot of fun!

    I am wondering how many people know what a typewriter eraser is! Or a typewriter, for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is probably my top must-visit sight in Seattle. And somehow, you showed completely different sculptures than I always see...I'm obviously missing a big chunk of the Park regularly! The siting is wonderful and the walk through down to the waterfront is fabulous almost any day of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline, I couldn't have said it any better myself!

    Hoover, hope you do as it was a lot of fun! I remember hearing to teenage boys discover that records play on both sides...that you had to actually turn them over. I bet they've never seen a typewriter.

    MulchMaid, agreed, a favorite walk for me too, and others as so many people were out enjoying it on that beautiful afternoon! Glad I could show you a different perspective!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comment moderation is on (because you know: spam), I will approve and post your comment as soon as possible!