Thursday, March 7, 2013

A few hotel horticultural encounters…

During our recent venture north to Seattle (for the garden show) we stayed at a new-to-us hotel, one that was part of the show sponsored hotel pricing specials (a great deal that I recommend checking out if you go next year). This shallow planted bowl caught my eye as we pulled into the parking lot.

The plantings are fine, nothing to rave or rant about but that planter itself…oh how I would love LOVE to have a trio of those in my front garden. Yes indeed.

Later we parked in the underground garage, just outside the elevator vestibule I spied the saddest little Cast Iron plant ever…

The leaf and two halves looked healthy enough but just a little overwhelmed by the container. Maybe they could've at least planted the poor thing? Or just made it look like they did?

Later that evening as we were leaving we noticed a fellow Oregonian…have you ever seen an Astroturf covered vehicle?

Now you have.

Did you notice the name of their company? Turf-n-Oregon. Turf-n…that must explain the surf board on the top?

Finally there were these clipped shrubs in front of the hotel.

I suspect many gardeners would recoil in terror when they see shrubs trimmed up like this, but I rather like them. It’s an art form.

Although I do think the Winter Jasmine (Jasminum nudiflorum) is an odd choice for this treatment (there was a trellis behind it, keeping it upright).

What do you think…love cloud pruning (maybe cake pruning in this case), or hate it? And what about that Astroturf covered rig?

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

27 comments:

  1. I think I'm in favor of both the turf wagon and cake-pruning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy that type of pruning when done as an occasional ornamental treatment as here. Well done topiaries in a special garden or park work for me too. In a residential yard it usually doesn't work.

    Sheared flowering shrubs make no sense.

    The best use of artificial turf I've seen in quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a home near me that has several fabulous cloud pruned shrubs, impeccably maintained too. I keep meaning to snap a picture. The thing that really gets me though is the lawn is a wreck and the house literally looks like it's falling apart from neglect. But those shrubs...not a single needle out of place.

      Delete
  3. I like them, they look good where they are and I agree it looks like an art form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate sculpted shrubs in most gardens, unless the topiary is the point. In this case, it works great!

    Turf car, not so sure about. (If that were my car I think I'd arrange an "accidental" crash with a landscape company truck for some instant PR magic.)

    How would you like to create shallow planters like that yourself? I've been thinking about how I'd do it for a while now, and may actually give it a try this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as no innocent people (or cars or plants) were injured I think your accidental crash would be fabulous!

      I hope you do give it a try, I'd like to see how they turn out!

      Delete
  5. sandy lawrenceMarch 07, 2013

    Okay. I'll be odd man out. Hate sculpted shrubs. Like natural and loose. Jasmine is an odd choice, as you pointed out, and maybe worst of the lot, imo. That said, it's always interesting to see how other people do things, and I enjoy your tours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Sandy, we can't all like the same things...that would be very boring.

      Delete
  6. This is called landscraping, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Generally, I don't really like extreme pruning...but, as always, when done well, it can be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it very intimidating. How do you even know where to begin?

      Delete
  8. Skyline Blvd has some prime examples of that kind of pruning in the memorial gardens. I find it kinky and fun, and the shrubs don't seem to mind. If they have no objections, why should we?
    I was just admiring some shallow planters like that yesterday at Garden Fever. They would be brilliant in your setting. Don't you have a birthday coming up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need to check out the shrubs along Skyline...and I do, although not until July. You never know though...

      Delete
  9. I love the surf board..haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honey! It's time to mow the truck!

    I like the cloud-pruning, it just needs to be done better.

    The vine buzzed into a rectangle, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was one buzzed rectangle that was falling over. It's support trellis (wooden) had broken at ground level. It was an even sadder sight.

      Delete
  11. I want turf on my car too! Loved that. I enjoy looking at cloud pruning but hate the work that it entails - not a pleasant job. Not as fond of the winter jasmine in bondage but it's a plant that can take all kinds of abuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turf on your car, plants inside your car...a traveling garden!

      Delete
  12. Cracking up on the car. Too funny. They need that here in Austin- the "motto" is 'Keep Austin Weird' after all....Cloud pruning has it's place I think. Doesn't go everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Portland has the same motto...I wonder who had it first?

      Delete
  13. I love cloud pruning, but it needs to be complemented by the right architecture and other plants. Cake pruning...not so much - pass the ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't understand the point of cloud pruning. I prefer plants to look as natural as possible, given space limiations. Of course, there's a difference between a private garden and a public display.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I generally don’t like plants that are shaped like that because most of them are done poorly, leaving lots of dead patches, branch nubs, and damaged leaves, not to mention the brown, dead debris that gets lodged and sits there for months smothering the leaves below. It takes effort to do it well and to time the pruning so that the new growth covers up the damage, most plants just end up looking abused to me. When done well, and in the right context, it’s okay.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comment moderation is on (because you know: spam), I will approve and post your comment as soon as possible!