Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Podocarpus matudiae is my favorite plant in the garden this week…

Last week the Outlaw wrote a blog post showing a line of very realistic looking fake plants. This got me thinking about my new Podocarpus matudiae, a gift from Sean Hogan at Cistus Nursery. When he pulled it from greenhouse stock and handed it to me my first thought was “that looks fake!” And due to my inability to properly sensor my outbursts I said so. Nice...my mother would be proud.

But there’s something about that bright green new-growth and thick, almost waxy, foliage that makes me think of fake plants. It’s just so, so, green!

And that’s why it’s my favorite plant this week. After spending time with the dead it’s nice to see something so vibrantly alive…

Here’s a picture of a much older plant growing in Sean’s garden, I borrowed it from a post on the Cistus Facebook page sharing results of the December freeze, both good and bad. Obviously it sailed through the cold temps.

Here’s a 2-yr old plant growing in the Seattle garden of Justin Galicic (who blogs at Growing Steady, thanks for the photo Justin)…

To see the plant when he first purchased it check out his blog post on a visit to Cistus in February of 2012. Here’s the description from Cistus: “From 5200 ft in the Sierra Madre Orientale cloud forest, our collection of this lovely and rare Mexican podocarp, one of the most beautiful hardy conifers for tropical effect. To 20 ft tall or so with weeping branches and a graceful form -- a large textured presence in the garden. Damp soil and dappled shade is best with protection from drying winds. Has tolerated temperatures below 10F, upper USDA zone 7, so far.”

A “tropical effect conifer”…now that’s something I can appreciate. As to where I’m going to put a currently 12” tall plant that can eventually reach 20ft tall, that's the question!

Is there a plant which has caught your eye this week? Please tell us about it!

All material © 2009-2014 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited and just plain rude.

26 comments:

  1. That is super exciting! It looks amazing! The one in the photo at Sean's house looks superb. It definitely has that tropical look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spotted one at Kennedy School yesterday on a dog walk, it was bigger than mine but still pretty small yet it had a great presence.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I love this plant and am definitely going to add it to my Cistus list for next time I visit! Thanks for the intro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. my favorite this week is here: http://www.outlawgarden.blogspot.com/2014/01/nandna-domestica-fire-power-is-my.html

      Delete
    2. When will that visit be?

      Delete
  3. Hardy conifer for tropical effect, love the sound of that!! And great to be reminded of how a big specimen looks like. Your plant looks fab already and at least it's starting to grow upright. Our little one was propped by a nursery via cuttings and is still behaving like a branch and growing sideways....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I am horrible at staking plants in my garden, I hate the look of it. Hopefully this will continue to grow straight up!

      Delete
  4. The bright green new growth is a nice touch. I hope you can find a goo place for it. Here's my contribution this week: http://krispgarden.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-favorite-plant-of-week-grevillea.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a seriously beautiful plant. Too bad it needs moist soils. That I don't have, otherwise I'd have been on the lookout for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry Gerhard, the way things are going it sounds like we might not either. I actually watered a few things outside yesterday (containers), how odd...

      Delete
  6. Another for the wishlist! I love podocarpus. Thanks for introducing me to another one that will grow in the PNW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evan I finally followed your link and found your blog, I hope you have time to write more soon! So are you planning to someday move back to the PNW?

      Delete
    2. Yes! Thank you for being my first commenter! I'm planning on writing a longer introduction (with more pictures of course) this weekend, or maybe even tomorrow since I'm home sick. I am completely in love with the PNW and will definitely be moving back someday.

      Delete
  7. I have loved every Podocarpus I've seen and the new growth on this one is superb! My Podocarpus macrophyllus is in a pot, but I think it's going to force the issue of a place in the garden soon.

    Here's my contribution to the meme: http://mulchmaid.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-favorite-plant-in-garden-this-week.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like that means it's getting large? That's not a bad thing though, right?

      Delete
  8. I know exactly where I would put it... I think. I know the feeling. Hopefully it is a slow grower and won't reach 20 feet tall very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picture you having a fairly large garden Debbie, is that true?

      Delete
  9. Is this going to replace your Acacia? I love that bright coloring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely an interesting idea...thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  10. Have never met a Podocarpus I didn't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me curious about how many you've met!

      Delete
  11. Very beautiful! That new growth is stunning. I think I would've blurted out a similar statement as you! I've been fooled before.
    I'm a bit slow this week, as I've been outside painting those darn pots every night after work until it's too dark to continue! Almost ready to fill them up :)

    My favourite: http://crmbsgrdn.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/my-favourite-plant-in-garden-this-week_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love seeing something green at this time of the year, it appeals to me that the Podocarpus can get big and have some presence. Along those lines my favorite plant this week is Phyllostachys nuda, http://weedingonthewildside.blogspot.com/2014/01/phyllostachys-nuda-favorite-plant-pick.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and since it's been shown to survive the cold I'm extra excited.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comment moderation is on (because you know: spam), I will approve and post your comment as soon as possible!