Monday, April 21, 2014

An annual outing with my fellow plant lovers...(part 1)

It’s a tradition, four years strong. The Thursday before the big HPSO plant sale a group of friends and I head out for a day-long adventure. That day was April 10th, we started at Xera Plants retail shop in SE Portland. Here (from left to right) are Lyle, Heather and Scott checking out the offerings.

The weather that day was nothing short of perfect! The rest of the gang Ryan (white T on the far left), Tim, James, Riz, Greg (co-owner of Xera), Derick, and Nathan. Look at all those plants!

Callistemon subulatus 'Dark Red'...yes it's as soft as it looks.

Didn't get the name of this Aquilegia but it was quite lovely.

Love the grid pattern on some opuntia, this one especially.

And plant shadows, I love plant shadows.

Here's my (tiny) haul from Xera; Two Eryngium giganteum 'Miss Wilmott's Ghost', which Greg said should bloom this year since they're last years plants (fingers crossed), Sedum spathulifolium 'Carnea', and yes another Grevillea juniperina 'Molonglo' but this time I'm only planting one (I lost six juniper Grevilleas last winter) and in the back garden, where it's a little more protected.

Next stop Secret Garden Growers in Canby, Oregon (yes we went from urban to country, in no time). This was my first visit to SGG, although since they're a plantlust.com nursery I have emailed with the owner, Pat, many times. It's wonderful when you finally meet someone in person and they're just as nice as you thought they'd be.

The nursery was lovely as well, and large!

Syneilesis palmata

There were two large hoop houses in the distance and we were concerned they'd be off limits, torture to plant lovers on a field trip! Nope, we were allowed in to survey the goods. Naturally I fell in love with several things in the "not for sale" section, like that purple succulent on the right.

Also not for sale...

Ditto...

My Rubus lineatus died completely back to the ground this year. It's already sprouting out new growth but so much for those 7ft tall arching canes.

At least I know I'll have that pleated foliage to look forward to again this summer.

My Impatiens omeiana is showing signs of developing into a mass like this, finally. I do have my doubts as to whether or not I'll get to enjoy it before the critters go to town on it (slugs? root weevils? both?).

Speaking of critters (but the cute ones)...

I bought one of these phormium, in fact maybe the one in the front on the far right. Sadly no frogs came with it.

Sedum makinoi Ogon 'Golden Japanese Sedum'

Geranium? (Begonia, thanks Planted Watered) My mind's gone blank, but I can tell you I almost purchased one of these.

My gunerra has returned, surviving the winter cold. It's not this big, yet...

Still no sign of either Acanthus sennii however.

I'll end today's post with the most popular thing at the nursery. This little guy (forgot his name) was just too cute. We were devising all sorts of schemes to escape with him, but then there would have been the inevitable fight over who got to take him home (just between you and me I'm sure Heather would have won). Tomorrow I'll share the second half of our day...

All material © 2009-2014 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited and just plain rude.

26 comments:

  1. Fun stuff. The "geranium?" plant looks like Begonia pedatifida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day! My Gunnera has returned this year too, with three tiny, measly leaves. It keeps getting smaller and smaller every year, which kind of indicates to me that it's not the happiest camper where it's planted. It wants water. I'm not sure where to move it to, though. My least-well drained spot is full to bursting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it will get bigger as the season progresses, right? Mine always starts out looking sad but as soon as things heat up BAM! True water is important, I have a friend who planted it in a kiddie pool sunk into the ground (you can't see it).

      Delete
  3. what a gorgeous post, Loree. can't wait to get back to nursery visits. i've got to get lots of that grass out of the yard--and roses, and hydrangeas, and ai yi yi...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had quite a week of plant shopping! Looks like you had a great time & that begonia foliage is gorgeous! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did...and guess what? It's all already planted too!

      Delete
  5. Fun! I love it when I find interesting plants in small sizes - they usually settle into the garden more easily than those in larger containers and they're easier on the pocketbook too. The puppy, not to speak of the frog, would have been nice additions to the haul, although I suspect that Lila wouldn't have been pleased to see either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She (Lila) would have probably enjoyed the puppy, until she realized it wasn't going away and she was going to have to share. As for the frog I wonder if she'd even notice it? Her eye-sight isn't what it used to be...

      Delete
  6. That opuntia is very attractive, with the pattern and plum-my hue to it. The Begonia I had labelled as pedatifida too until someone said to us before it's a sikkimense which made us none the wiser. Looking forward to part 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh...so confusing! Well at least I know it's a begonia...

      Delete
  7. Oh, I miss that puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're still a little bit away from nursery browsing here, as lots of things are just barely waking up... it's depressing to see almost-barren pots of soil. You certainly don't have that problem there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Columbine is A viridiflora 'Chocolate Soldier,' I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll take the Rubus lineatus, not that it has a chance in my garden...and the puppy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he just adorable? Those eyes, that belly, those paws!

      Delete
  11. Looks like a great day! Wish I could have joined you. The moving truck arrived that day and the driver "couldn't" make it into the driveway, even though we've had full-sized logging trucks come in through that driveway. I had to unload it immediately while feeling like I was about to pass out from being sick. Luckily the driver and my neighbor were there to help!

    Ha! I don't mean to complain. But you can imagine how much I would have preferred to hang out with fellow plant addicts on a nursery expedition. I have so many things I want to get from Xera. I love their philosophy of testing and offering tough plants adapted for our climate, and so many great deer-resistant selections! Exactly what my parents need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! When we were at Bosky Dell (part 2) a delivery of soil showed up. The driver had to back all the way down the (narrow) driveway. One of the staff was behind the truck directing and moving pots, branches, etc out of the way. It took forever but the driver just kept working it. Wish your truck driver was that determined.

      When you finally do make it down to Portland keep in mind Xera is only open Thur-Sun. Can't have you coming all this way just to be disappointed.

      Delete
  12. I just noticed that my Acanthus sennii is putting in an appearance after I had given it up for dead...YAY! Love that Opuntia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy for you! Mine still isn't showing...I was out there looking for it yesterday and there's nothing.

      Delete
  13. Ohhh that frog!!! I love so much all those plants but I have a crush with tree frogs and small frogs like that one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's nothing more fun than a day looking at plants, and buying a few, with fellow plant nerds. And the cute puppy is the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comment moderation is on (because you know: spam), I will approve and post your comment as soon as possible!