Thursday, May 29, 2014

Sedum ochroleucum 'Crested Centaurus' is my favorite plant in the garden (this week)…

I don’t normally like fasciation (or cresting) of plants, especially succulents. While some prize the odd growths that appear, they usually make my skin crawl. However (being a woman of contradictions) I adore cockscomb flowers (Celosia cristata) and still fondly remember seeing this Cryptomeria japonica 'Cristata' (Cockscomb Cryptomeria) back in 2009...

So imagine my surprise when I discovered a crested sedum!

We made an impromptu overnight trip up to Tacoma, WA, last weekend and stopped at Bark & Garden in Olympia on our way back to Portland. I discovered these little oddities tucked in with the rest of the sedum and sempervivum.

I wanted them all, but settled for two.

The most bizarre two of course...

I accidentally broke off a piece getting them out of their nursery containers. Being a sedum I’m sure it will take root and grow with ease.

There isn’t much to discover online about Sedum ochroleucum 'Crested Centaurus' and in fact most of the photos show regular (not crested) sedum.

I did learn that Sedum ochroleucum is native to Europe and Turkey, and at least one website listed it as hardy to USDA Zones 4-9. It will be interesting to watch how these grow, if the plant increases in size and stays crested, or if bits revert.

So that's my current favorite. Anything new, bizarre, or just plain fabulous in your garden this week?

All material © 2009-2014 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited and just plain rude.

26 comments:

  1. Hmmm, that's a real curiosity!

    I need ideas like that to fill the two planters I bought from ebay earlier this week http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291152060872?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

    Plant-wise I am very pleased with some hardy orchids that I bought last weekend, they are some kind of Dactylorhiza, and came from seeds collected at my local nursery. Some of them have spotted leaves and some don't and the three that I bought have beautiful dark pink flowers which are now starting to open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those planters are pretty cool and screaming out for succulents, of course.

      Delete
  2. My first thought was "crested Sedum, why?", but that is truly strange and cool!

    You also reminded me that I need to sprinkle some celosia seeds around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not!? They are terribly cool and I've planted them right where I can keep an eye on them from the patio table. I haven't bought any celosia this year, usually I succumb when I see pony packs at the grocery/everything store.

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting plant. Like it planted amongst the stones

    ReplyDelete
  4. I searched and searched but couldn't find anything as bizarre as the fasciated sedum. In fact, we can't even grow sedum or sempervivum well here, not cool nor moist enough. So I will enjoy yours. I offer tropical milkweed which has specialized flowers and seeds that are only a bit bizarre. http://janestrong.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my brother moved to Phoenix he took some semps with him, and quickly found out they aren't desert plants. Not that he's lacking for cool plants to grow! Okay heading over to check out your fav...

      Delete
  5. I'm pleasantly surprised they were selling these as such. I've always thought these sort of plants were chance finds. I like it, reminds me of a coral :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should have bought them all, right?

      Delete
  6. It looks more like a pet than a plant! Or else you could lay it on the floor like a rug and snuggle up on a cold day ;-) Very unusual and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does, no wonder Lila turned her nose up at them.

      Delete
  7. Very cool! Like you, I don't usually care for fasciation, but this sedum won me over. It looks like something thought up by Jim Henson or Dr. Seuss.

    Nothing bizarre from me this week, though it is pretty fabulous right now. http://practicalplantgeek.blogspot.com/2014/05/my-favorite-plant-in-gardenthis-week.html

    Good luck with those contractions. Remember to breathe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay you've stumped me. Contractions?

      Delete
    2. I think she means that you wrote "contractions" when you meant to say you are a woman of contradictions.

      Delete
    3. Haha! Thank you ricki (and Evan)...duh. I even read back through it after he wrote that and didn't see it....

      Delete
    4. Hehe, sorry, couldn't help myself.

      Delete
    5. I would have done the same thing if the error was reversed...

      Delete
  8. It looks like a fuzzy green hand to me - I'd half expect it to wave hello. My selection this week is a little quirky too: http://krispgarden.blogspot.com/2014/05/my-favorite-plant-this-week-cotula.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Kermit the frog was buried and his hand is sticking out of the rock?

      Delete
  9. Interesting...I´m not sure if i like it or not, but it is weird and interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am joining in with your favourite plant meme this week, Loree, I know I'm a bit late, but when I saw your weird Sedum, I thought I would write about my weird Arisaema. So it's not necessarily my favourite plant but my most peculiar plant. Not quite as peculiar as the Sedum but the best I could do.My link is thebloominggarden.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/arisaema-costa…rden-this-week/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not late at all, please post a fav whenever you spot one. I do so weekly and you can link to/from that post anytime you like.

      Delete
  11. Leave it to Ms Danger to find a quirky, muppet-like plant as the object of your affection. It will be interesting to see how it grows on. My offering is only mildly quirky by comparison: http://bannersbyricki.com/archives/3743

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should have bought them all, budget be damned...

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comment moderation is on (because you know: spam), I will approve and post your comment as soon as possible!